Organic Lamb and Greek Salad
Cooking Organic Lamb in Shenzhen China
Organic Lamb Cutlets w Greek Salad
Serves : 2-3 people
If you have lived in Shenzhen, China for longer then a week, you will know that certain items are harder to find in the meat market that you are used to, namely specific steaks that are popular in the States but one meat that tends to be very popular in Shenzhen is Lamb. I know that lamb is one of my favorite meats but usually very hard to find in Georgia where I am from. That said, I was extremely happy to find that there is a good source to lamb available in most restaurants, grocery stores and even street vendors (although you need to know your stuff before trying that).
I will say that the grocery store nearby where I lived had a good source of beef but there was no way that I could know what part or kind of beef I was buying. You can’t necessarily go up and ask for a chuck eye (maybe there is a Chinese way of saying this). Either way, one thing that is certain is that rather you say it in Chinese or English, you typically get a blank stare when asking for organic meats.
I remember the first time I asked my assistant where to find organic meat. She first starred at me like I was crazy and then burst into laughter. That said, my organic diet was crushed my first year or so in China. Before moving to China I had a pretty strict diet of veggies and organic grass fed butters and meats. It wasn’t until almost three years in that I found that Nogogo does great offers on organic meats.
1 x 500 gram pack Organic Lamb Cutlets
2 x Lemons
1/8 th Organic Red Onion
2 x Organic Tomatoes
100 grams Kalamata Olives
1/8 th Bunch Mint
1/4 Clove Garlic
Cracked Pepper to season
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C . Place organic lamb cutlets on a cutting board . Gently season and let rest.
- Mint ,Yoghurt Sauce : Add 1 x organic cucumber peeled chopped & seeds removed , garlic ,mint & a dash of lemon juice into bowl and blend with a stick blender or magic bullet and blend for 30 seconds to a minute until all ingredients are pureed .
- Strain through a sieve for 5 mins until all liquid has gone . Mix remaining mix with Greek yoghurt and set aside in the fridge to chill .
- Greek Salad : Peel and halve and slice organic cucumber , diced organic tomatoes , thinly slice organic onion and add to a bowl.
- Add chopped feta cheese , kalamata olives , dried oregano , juice of half a lemon , a dash of sea salt and drizzle with good quality extra virgin olive oil to taste .
- Mix gently and place into the fridge to chill .
- Heat some olive oil in a pan , grill organic lamb cutlets for 1.5 minutes each side until golden brown on each side . Season with cracked pepper .
- Take out of the pan and place unto the oven for 4-5 minutes . If you do not have an oven cook in the pan for another 4-5 minutes . Take out of oven and let rest for a few minutes
- Place organic lettuce on a large plate . Top with Greek salad . Place 2-3 organic lamb cutlets beside the salad . Place a large dollop of mint yogurt sauce on the side with a piece of lemon . Serve immediately .